Monday, November 06, 2017

World Fantasy Awards 2017

These prestigious awards are announced at the annual World Fantasy Convention. The 2017 winners have just been announced and you can see the full list of winners here. Heartiest congratulations to all.

I might have had to visit an online bookseller to see what all the fuss is about - and invest in the winning books. Actually I invested in the books by the other finalists as well. So I now have the following on my Kindle:

The Sudden Appearance of Hope by Claire North (Redhook; Orbit UK) which is this year's winner.

Borderline by Mishell Baker (Saga)  - finalist

Roadsouls by Betsy James (Aquaduct) - finalist

The Obelisk Gate by NK Jemisin (Orbit US; Orbit UK) - finalist - and since this is the second book in The Broken Earth trilogy I also had to buy those on either side of it, didn't I. These are The Fifth Season which I think won a Hugo last year and The Stone Sky. 

Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff (Harper) - finalist

The there's the long fiction:

The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe By Kij Johnson (Tor.com Publishing) this year's long fiction winner

The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle (Tor.com Publishing) - finalist

Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire (Tor.com Publishing) - finalist

A Taste of Honey by Kai Ashante Wilson (Tor.com Publishing) - finalist

I also bought one anthology Dreaming in the Dark ed. Jack Dann (PS Australia) and winner of the anthology section before guilt kicked in and I decided I'd reached my spending limit for now. Maybe I'll go back for the rest when my credit card has recovered.


2 comments:

Jo said...

Phew, what a lot of books to buy all at once. No wonder your credit card needs a rest. It must be burning up. I only recognise one author's name in that list. Happy reading.

Helen V. said...

I don't often buy so many books at once, Jo, but they are all e-books which makes them less expensive. These days I only buy paper books when I've already read them and know I will want to keep them - oh, and those written by friends, too, of course.