Sunday, June 07, 2009

One of Those Months

It was full of highs and lows with much sadness at times but much joy at others.

Among the joys was the Tom Collins House Writers Residency. It made the point that if you want to be a professional writer you have to be professional in your approach. That means you go to work every day and write. This is not news or rocket science and it's the way I try to do my writing. The problem is that my workplace is my home and even if I manage to ignore the household chores (this is not something I find all that hard to do, you understand) interruptions still occur. The phone rings. Someone comes to the door peddling something I don't want. A friend drops in. I'm sure this applies to most writers, for that matter, to most folk who work at home but it's not easy to overcome.

I was quite amazed (although I probably shouldn't have been) at the volume of work I achieved while working at the Writers Centre. It's brought home to me that I need to make my office a place more apart so I can shut the door, figuratively if not actually, on the world for a set time every day. I'm not entirely sure how but I'm starting by removing all the clutter that Pisces and Virgo have dumped in here. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Laura E. Goodin said...

Definitely one of those months!

Best of luck evolving a writing life that works well for you! (I'm still process on that, myself, God knows.)

Helen V. said...

Thanks, Laura.