Saturday, November 17, 2007

Journal Writing

A question came up in the journal writing workshop I gave to a writing group this week. The emphasis was on written journals and how they could be used in developing an idea for writing as well as self exploration but I touched on other journals - scrapbook journals where pictures, newspaper clippings and so on are kept with personal comments, reading list journals which give a personal review of books read, memoir journals that focus around a particular period or person, gratitude journals and photographic journals. In passing I mentioned blogs and LJs. This caused a lot of discussion. Why would anyone journal on the internet? It's a good question and I've been thinking about it a lot since.
Why do I blog? In the end it's because I like to write and share my writing life with anyone who cares to read about it. I blog about things that are important to me, what is happening in my life and things I hope will be interesting and give pleasure to anyone who finds my blog. My blog is not the journey of self exploration a written personal journal would be but it is an aspect of myself and one I'm pleased to share.

2 comments:

Laura E. Goodin said...

It's also a really cool way for people who care about you to feel involved in your life. And I do.

-- Laura

Helen V. said...

Thank you, Laura. I read yours for the same reason.