Saturday, February 10, 2007

Swords and...

I looked out my window yesterday afternoon and swords were flashing. One of the convenors belongs to a group who sword-fight and she was filling in a couple of the interested Clarionites on how to handle a weapon. I went out and watched as they went through their exercises. Fascinating. This is something I've always wanted to do but my body as always lets me down. I got to handle a couple of swords though. They are even heavier than I expected. I'd be hard pushed to lift them over my head even two handed and I now know why you don't wear a sword on your back too. It may look good but you can't actually draw the weapon. Hollywood, you have much to answer for.

4 comments:

Satima Flavell said...

Mm - that's something I've always wanted to try but I'm a bit too old and a lot to fat to take it up now:-)We did fencing at NIDA but only with foils and I never got much further than carte-six-advance retreat-lunge-parry:-)

Re-enactment groups are doing some good work in keeping those skills alive - or reviving the lost ones. Whenever there is a sword session at a con I go to watch the demos and the guys who run them are invariably very knowledgeable as well as skilled in the requisite techniques. I dips me lid to 'em.

Helen V. said...

Lucky you, Satima. I intend to look into The Grey Company when I get back to Perth. Apparently they are involved in re-enactments.

Anonymous said...

I've seen some of the Grey Company acts. They're very good. Also interesting with costumes. I tried some of their chain mail on once...now that was heavy as well.

Satima Flavell said...

I looked into the Grey Company once but realised I really didn't have time to make fancy clothes or the money to travel to fairs etc where they perform. I really admire those guys who actually make their own chain mail, link by link (although I don't fancy wearing it!) There is a man in Perth who makes repro weapons as well, and the company has spawned sub groups that do spinning and weaving and other handicrafts. Were I 20 yrs younger I would jump at joining, but at my age I seem to be so slow that I can't fit nearly as much into a week as I could at one time:-(